I have asked all 7 Colorado Congressional Representatives and Senators to support provider status and the responses ranged from the simple question “why do you want provider status?” to “Who says pharmacists aren’t health care providers?”
Since you may not know which question your representative will be asking, here are a few helpful hints to make sure your visit is positive and productive.
- Find out who in Congress and the Senate represents you. This seems like such a “no-brainer” but remember to contact the congressional representatives representing the district where you live and vote. To find out, simply enter your zip code at usa.gov/elected-officials.
- Be professional and courteous without threats, intimidations or promises. Telling them “I will never vote for you again” is not helpful.
- Anticipate the questions you might be asked in addition to the two questions mentioned above and have your responses ready.
- Do your homework. The national pharmacy organizations have excellent fact sheets, Q&A documents and suggested answers for you to use including:
- Tell your personal story of why provider status is important to you including how you believe it would benefit their constituents.
- Listen to their response and tell us what you heard. We’ll compile the results for future advocacy efforts.
Photo Credit: U.S. Geological Survey/photo by Toni Smith
Provider Status – What do I tell my Congressman?